Engine Oil Checks & Replacements with Budget Performance Inc.
When asked, you may hear answers such as every 5000, 10,000 kilometers, or when the vehicle's oil monitor indicates that this service is necessary. It is no wonder consumers are confused. The simplest answer... well, there is no simple answer! In fact, there is no interval that applies to most vehicles.
The engine serves as the heart of your vehicle, so changing its oil based on the manufacturer's recommendation is perhaps the single most important thing that you can do to keep your vehicle's engine running longer. Read these following recommendations closely to determine the correct interval; the interval that matches your vehicle's operating conditions and your driving habits.
The Normal interval listed in the owner's manual applies to vehicles driven under ideal conditions. While you may consider your driving habits and operating conditions quite normal, read the fine print.
Some exceptions to Normal driving include:
- Frequent short trips (less than 10 km, especially during cold weather)
- Stop-and-go city traffic driving
- Driving in dusty conditions, on gravel roads, etc.
- Driving at sustained highway speeds during hot weather
- Towing use
- Diesel or turbocharged engine
What about the 5000 KM oil change myth?
Consider these facts:
- Oil requires complex additives and detergents to help prevent corrosion and sludge buildup
- Additives allow oil to flow freely at extremely cold temperatures while also providing protection under extremely hot temperatures
- Testing shows that after 5000 KM the oil itself still lubricates, but the depletion of critical additives may no longer allow the oil to offer the same protection and benefits
- Longer intervals may benefit the environment, but perhaps at the expense of engine life
- Re-refined oils offer an alternative for motorists with concerns about the environment
- Re-refined oils use the remaining lubricating qualities of used oil, and replenish the depleted additives to create oils that meet the quality of new oil
Always remember, with proper maintenance from Budget Performance Inc., you can leave your worries behind! Call us today to schedule your next maintenance appointment.